Thursday, June 4, 2015

Return to my Blog-1957 Triumph TR3 Derelict Build Update


Work on my 1957 has proceeded since my last posting in November 2014.Just not documented in my blog...

The winter was generally not a good build season due to a number of contributing factors-many beyond my control. \As I look back on my entries there has been a lot of justification of lack of progress but I think it comes with the territory...Over the winter and into spring I had to continually remind myself the build is a hobby of mine and as such should not be a burden to my sense of well being if I don't get around to turning wrenches and making progress. A fine line to walk for sure..

I have fabricated some more panels for the interior...trial fitted -they look good. My son also got involved by doing some custom fabrication for me on the interior panel that goes behind the seats in front of the gas tank. I hope to post some pictures soon.

Through extremely good luck and good fortune I was able to purchase a small mouth valance for the car from Drakes Motors-Kelowna for a very reasonable price. The component needed a lot of work and it took me a couple of tries to get it to a point where I was satisfied with the structure and the alignment with the front fenders. I am now ready to do the final minor repairs and get a coat of filler on the repair patch areas. I am please made new patch panels out of sheet metal and then skimmed them with fibreglass filler. Now very strong and much more structurally sound. I am pleased with my workmanship. Very fit for purpose for a derelict build like the '57. I hope to get a coat of primer on before the end of the day tomorrow...

I also lucked out on procuring replacement seat covers at a heavily discounted price from Drakes. I started to dismantle the old seats-got one completed and have since moved on...I will get back to the work at a later date.

After much deliberation on my part I decided to purchase a steering column kit from Moss motors. I looked a jury rigging something up-even going as far as looking at hot rod options but after careful
deliberation spent the $325 to buy the unit...I really wanted to use the original steering wheel which was proving difficult to adapt to the options I was looking at. One interesting aspect of the kit was the tube housing was painted blue-bright blue...not sure why but I decided to squirt on a coat of chassis black. I did a trial fit..had some issues with the firewall grommet which ended up consuming an extra hour of work until I got things lined up.

There are many other minor tasks completed. I probably worked on the car about 1/10 of the time I had originally allocated. Life got in the way and I have to go with the flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment