Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Triumph TR3-More Fender Work


Front Fenders: I went back into the garage on Sunday and put another coat of primer on the front fenders (spent about 45 minutes doing so) . When I went out on Monday morning to check things out I also noticed a couple of runs in the primer that I subsequently sanded out. It also came to my attention that I had accidently spilled some drops of paint (I had put a piece of cardboard on the hood to act as a surface for painting (my garage is too small to spread the fenders out))-a good lesson around covering previously painted surfaces-a missed detail-I should have know better) on the front valance requiring some additional sanding (rework-about 20 minutes worth) which will eventually require more primer coat touch up. I have now taken the position the two front fenders are "fit for purpose" primed. I will need to do some additional touch up when I attach them to the body.

Rear left fender: I decided to run a rag over the surface (once more) and while doing so noticed some more imperfections. So out came the filler and yet another skim coat was applied. I then sanded down the surface to a smooth contour finishing off with a 220 grit paper. (about an hour and a half total). The surface of the fender is now much smoother and ready for a primer coat. I decided this will be my last go round until the fender is installed and block sanded.

The rear right fender was sanded with 220 grit ready for the sealer primer to be applied.


No comments:

Post a Comment