Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Triumph TR3-Rear Valance Work

I spent over 3 hours in the garage yesterday removing the paint from the rear valance and spare tire area and reworking the patch panels. The left hand panel has been done 3 times now. The first time my fabrication was too flimsy (not a heavy enough gauge sheet metal) and the second time just plain second rate (not a very good alignment with the cut out area) so I scrapped the 2nd panel and started again. This time I am happy with the results. I also reworked a couple attaching flanges for a better fit.

I crawled under the car and looked at the body attachment points (not too many) and exhaust system (looks like it is in good shape) and started to scheme on how to remove the body from the chassis. I also determined the amount of work needed to "refinish" the underside of the car. There will be a fair amount of clean up required (lots of dirt and built up grease and oil) but everything looks solid. It was interesting to note that the chassis is actually damaged around the transmission area and generally very rusty. It looks like the left hand strut was hit hard at one point and bent and dented. This increased my resolve to utilize the powder coated frame although I am sure the chassis is repairable.

I also revisited the Ron Francis Wiring site and looked at their offerings for wiring harnesses. I am for sure upgrading the electrical to an after-market fuse box and wiring configuration that will include a conversion to an alternator. I will have to go back and dig up the articles on doing so. Of course, the conversion to a negative ground electrical system is under consideration. I am also considering a gear reduction starter-I have one "watched" on E-Bay.

All in all a very productive day in the garage. The weather was in the -20 degree range C. but I was very comfortable in my work space.

No comments:

Post a Comment