Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Triumph TR3-Duplicolor Paint Job-next steps

Yesterday I spent some "think time" on whether or not I wanted to proceed with the Duplicolor "home" paint job I had originally planned to do on the Triumph. My real issue is a shortage of $funds and a consideration of the trade off between having the paint job done professionally vrs getting the car on the road in a timely fashion on budget? I have already purchased the paint and have a compressor and paint gun in my garage ready to go so I am on my way to the "shade tree mechanic " solution. I have been perusing the YouTube postings showing people who have actually completed a paint job and it looks fairly straight forward. The paint is very forgiving with a very open re-coat window which gives me an incentive to "give it a try" to see what happens.

I have some previous painting experience- a VW bug in the mid 1970's. The paint job actually turned out fairly well. There was one small run (there are a lot of curves on a VW) that was hardly noticeable that I never repaired. It was overall a very satisfying experience and was done for a very reasonable price. All my subsequent paint jobs have been done by professional shops. My 1979 Ford Camper Van (which I still own), a 1962 Volvo 544 and a 1986 Mazda pick up truck all received "cheap" paint jobs after I completed a majority of the body work. I spent the most time on the 544 body prep and the results showed. The Ford and Mazda had more "fit for purpose" finishes which made them presentable but not up to body shop standards.

For now I will continue working on the panel prep as it will need to be done regardless of who does the finish paint job....




No comments:

Post a Comment