Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Triumph TR3-High Fill Primer-Part 2

About 2-1/2 hours spent in the garage last night. It is snowing here now and the temperature has dropped substantially (-15 degrees C at night) -it is great to be out in a warm garage on a cold and crisp fall night....

I went over the two rear and front left fender with another coat of high fill primer-let it set up and then did a light sanding with a 320 grit block sander to determine the "health" of the surfaces prior to applying another coat of high fill primer and ultimately the guide coat for final block sanding. There were some imperfections (more than I anticipated-but what's new) that became apparent which I addressed with a bit of hammer and dolly work and another application of filler where necessary. Once this was done I left the garage and came in for the evening. I like to "clear out" of the garage when I have applied filler or primer and let the products off-gas without me around to breath in the vapors. The toxicity of body work products is a real concern and I like to limit my exposure where possible. ( I always were protective safety equipment and keep my skin covered as much as possible). I am coming close to my self imposed time limit for body work (it is more an exposure issue (dust and fumes) than interest and focus-I do enjoy the work) but I need to press on for a while longer before I move over to the mechanical side. My plan is to get all the panels into the final coat of POR 15 primer and sealed up so to speak. Then I will take pictures and publish them. (probably on my Flickr account).

My wife asked me last night when I was going to start on the mechanical work which is a good sign. She has yet to come out to the garage to see what I am doing which kind of surprises me? I guess she really has no interest in car restoration-hopefully she will enjoy the car when it is finished!!

I looked at an Internet site a couple of nights ago on the restoration of TR6, this act illustrates the beauty of the Internet to find inspiration and tips...


No comments:

Post a Comment