Thursday, November 11, 2010

Triumph TR3-Panel Adhesive

Five hours in the garage today. A record I think? I managed to apply panel adhesive to the rear left fender splice and attach it with rivets which should provide a super strong bond. Next step is to grind down the outside and apply some filler to cover over the seam. I did a check of the fender radius and it looks good at first pass. I also cleaned up and installed the angle brackets that were needed to secure the floor boards to the firewall sections. The first part of the operation went really well...but I ran into problems after I applied the panel adhesive and realized I only had 1 (one) -1/8 drill bit for the drilling out the rivet holes and of course it broke twice!! leaving me with a short stubby bit to try finishing off the installation. Frustrating to say the least but I think I got the angle bracket installed tight enough with the existing rivets and a floor jack from underneath to clamp the floor to the bracket. I am going to need to go back and further secure the angle bracket after the adhesive sets and I remove the jack. A bit of a struggle late in the day but I made good progress for sure.

I really felt cramped in my single car garage today. Not really enough room to move around at times which is something I have to work around that complicates whatever process I am involved with. There just isn't a whole bunch of room on the sides of the car. Oh well-on the upside is the space is cheaper to heat in the winter than a double garage....

No comments:

Post a Comment