Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Triumph TR3-Setting My Budgetary Intent

Yesterday I reviewed my project plan with a focus on cost estimates to finish the reassembly. I believe I have enough money set aside to finish the car but I am concerned about having "contingency funds" available to address any "surprises" that come up.

I have a majority of the parts (new and used) already collected so I am anticipating with the exception of a new fabric roof and wiring harness my $$$ outlay is going to be reasonable?

During the reassembly I am going to have to "sort out" the mechanicals to determine which components of the two cars I am going to incorporate with an eye on reliability and drivability. Luckily (with the exception of the clutch and starter solenoid and motor) I have two of everything to go through. Hopefully the '59 has a solid drivetrain and I will be able to keep it whole. My earlier Triumph ownership showed issues with transmission integrity ( syncro health for example) which may mean a transmission change out after the car is reassembled and driven. Not a big deal.

I am anticipating "unneeded" parts will be marketed to generate additional funds. The big question is timing on when these parts should be sold?

The only "financial wild card" that is apparent right now is the clutch assembly which I have not had an opportunity to inspect to see what the wear looks like? The $300 estimate to replace it is not in the budget right now. Hopefully there will be enough disk life left that it will not have to be replaced immediately?? I have a new throw out bearing available which will be installed regardless.

I have to keep the perspective the car will be driven very few miles and it will probably take years to wear out the used components. If I was going to tour etc then I would have to re-evaluate my approach and replace marginal components with new. If I determine to sell the car next year then the new owner can make those decisions...


No comments:

Post a Comment